Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Dallas

This picture of Kelly's paternal grandparents, Dallas & Hazel Dolar. After 96 years on this earth, Grandpa Dolar passed away on July 7th, 2011. We have been blessed to have this pillar of our family with us for this many years.


Dallas & Hazel had been married for 73 years and set an amazing example for all of us. I remember the first time I was welcomed into their home, Kelly and I were young and still dating. Dallas was a quiet man, and with those dark sunglasses could be intimidating when first meeting him. However, from the moment I walked into that blue house in Bountiful I was welcomed as part of the family. I never felt like I was just the girlfriend of their grandson, I was Katie and part of the family. Of course, when Kelly and I married several years later I was officially part of the family.


Grandpa loved his family, his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Hearing about the family trips when Kelly was a child are what memories are made of. As Grandpa got older and was no longer able to drive their fifth wheel camper trailer, Kelly and I bought the trailer from them. I remember the day we drove to Bountiful to pick it up, Grandpa spent, what seemed to be hours, with Kelly and I going over every inch of the trailer, he wanted to make sure we knew how to use it and take care of it properly. We treated that trailer with the same love and care that Dallas and Hazel had for all of those years.


As I mentioned, Grandpa was a quiet and unassuming. I was always delighted when I was able to engage him in a long conversation or story about his childhood or the kids and grand kids growing up. Although I didn't hear it much these last few years, I loved to hear him laugh.


Our son, Chase is named after Grandpa. Chase Dallas Dolar, we choose the his middle name after Grandpa, its a strong name and one we were proud to carry on. Chase is a strong child that will grow into a strong man and hopefully remember his Great-Grandpa and carry on the strength that he showed during his time here.


I don't know what else to say. He is missed and loved. I'm honored to be a part of this family that Dallas helped create and loved. We will continue to love and take care of his sweet Hazel. Until we meet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment